MTN Mobile Money has partnered with Kazang to enable mobile money customers to be able to cash out and cash in at Kazang agent point. This partnership has increased the number of agents that mobile money can be accessed from thereby increasing transactions.
Kazang has now enabled all their agents to be able to initiate merchant payments from their POS devices to mobile money customers. This has increased the number of merchants that accept mobile money as a form of payment for goods and services
You swiped, Now you can MoMo it!
This service allows MTN mobile money registered customers to pay for goods and services at any outlet which has an ABSA POS machine. This will be done by the cashier or operator inputting the customer’s mobile money number and amount on the POS device and the customer will get a prompt on the phone to approve the transaction by entering the MM PIN.
How does the service work?
- Go to any outlet that has ABSA point of sale device as a payment channel in the
- Select the goods or services you want to buy and present at the Cashier
- Tell the Cashier that you want to pay via MTN Mobile Money
- The Cashier will ask for your Phone Number and will enter the number on the POS machine
- You will then get prompt on your phone asking you to approve the transaction by entering the PIN
- Once you enter the PIN the receipt will be printed on the POS machine and your mobile money account will be debited
- The cashier will give you a copy of the receipt
MTN Mobile Money has introduced a merchant payment service using an application called MoMo Pay, this enables QR code payments on the MTN mobile money system. Currently, all merchants are assigned a merchant ID (mID) to uniquely identify the merchant and is a key element with the payment process.
Given the cost and challenges faced regarding the deployment of physical point of sale terminals to prospective merchants there is clear value proposition in MTN offering this channel for merchant payment acceptance. This is an opportunity to create additional merchant identifiers that will have a considerable cost saving and contribute to the overall merchant value proposition and customer payment experience.
All merchants on activation will be given a Merchant ID (mID) and a quick response code (QR) as a primary merchant identifier. The static QR code will include the MSISDN, merchant name and mID embedded within the QR image. This will enable the merchant to accept payments from a Mobile money user that is utilising the service from an MTN mobile application interface. The introduction of the QR code will enhance the overall payment experience.
The MoMo Pay service will also be on the USSD channel (*303#).